Thursday, August 23, 2012

What am I working on? Advance 9898

Well here in the southern hemisphere, spring is in the air! And I have any number of cute spring frocks in my head for warm days ahead.

But right now I'm working on a sensible, work friendly, but still awesome wool sheath dress.
The pattern is Advance 9898.

Two necklines, two sleeve lengths - perfect fit!
I have found the construction process of this dress quite simple so far and the darts create a stellar silhouette. It's such a classic pattern, I can imagine it made up in any number of fabrics. A cotton sateen might be nice for summer workdays, even a floral pattern in the scoop-neck version perhaps? The solid colour and very plain design is indeed a fabulous showcase for a) YOU and b) your accessories.

The idea of fur, like Madame in the artwork,  is divine and I can imagine trimming the sleeves with fur for winter (fake of course, strange to think that dangling paws was ever considered an appropriate thing to wear in polite society?).

I'll post pictures soon. For now, here are the stats:

Pattern: Advance 9898, mid 1960s
Size: 16.5
Alterations: lengthened the bodice by 3/4inch, that eased up some tightness across the shoulder blades. Everywhere else fits perfectly.
Fabric: Worsted wool in a black/grey grain weave. $60/metre. Purchased from Tessuti in Surrey Hills. Black silk lining with woven pattern.
Notions: two black zippers (side and neck). Red seam binding. Black thread.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about it!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well thankyou! Its coming along nicely, but I just can't slow down to take pictures while I work, I get so obsessed. Will definitely post it closer to completion.

      Delete