Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Origins of a sewing obsession

Where did it come from? This obsession to sew, and sew vintage?

Its never just one thing that sets you off on a creative journey, right?

I've been drawn to vintage style all my life, from way before it was called that. I've always devoured old movies, especially from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. I adored old photographs. I love equally the dramatic cut of a Dior ballgown and the sensible style of a wartime frock.

When women didn't have much choice, sewing your own clothes must have been a source of pride if you were adept at it; or a nightmare if you weren't.  I understand why those women eagerly embraced store-bought clothing and cheaper synthetic fabrics that promised freedom from ironing. But I do think something was lost too.

So now we have a choice - we can sew or buy, whenever the mood takes us. And just like the slow food movement that emphasises tradition and provenance and rejects fast food, I'm starting a slow clothing wardrobe that will do the same.  I want my wardrobe to be filled with pieces that reflect their provenance and purpose.

This is my journey to become an excellent seamstress. I'll share my progress and my projects, my mistakes, my successes and my latest obsessions. I hope you will stop by and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment